Monday, February 06, 2006

Tattoos on a woman's lower back and pregnancy do not mix!!

At least that's the newest rumor going round the internet and e-mail system.

Claim: Women in childbirth with tattoos on their lower backs should not receive anesthetic via epidural injection.

The rumor is if you have a tat on your lower back and you're pregnant, you can't have an epidural (the anesthetic via your spine). Purportedly, doctor's won't poke a needle through a tat for fear of dragging the ink into the spinal fluid.

*maidink shakes her head*

What scares me is that people believe this crap without checking, let's say, an expert on the subject. Oh no. It's so much better to believe an e-mail that has been forwarded from about five hundred people. Yeah, now that's gospel! "My friend's co-worker's sister's best friend's boyfriend's aunt is a medical technician so she KNOWS what she is talking about."

????????


Well thank goodness for e-mail or else I wouldn't know what the hell is going on in this world!

11 comments:

Pax Romano said...

I love how people fall for these damn things.

PT Barnum was right!

Spikey1 said...

Well there goes that idea!

Boy from Stage Left said...

okay so while it came from an email I am having to think that logically it makes sense, maybe, without thinking about it too hard. But being a man and THANKFULLY never having to go through the act of childbirth it is one of those, don't think about it too hard questions.

S.I.D. said...

I have a tattoo on my spine!

Tony said...

If you decide to get a tattoo on your lower back, are they allowed to set a child on your spine?

What? I'm just askin' is all.

Maidy said...

Pax - Some of my friends are PT Barum fodder. It's a shame, really.

Spikey1 - It's okay, Spike. I'm sure you can still get a tat. I know you guys get sympathy pains but they won't give you an epidural during delivery, too.

Britt - The ink actually becomes part of the skin. It can't reliquify and enter the blood stream. Now if preggers gets her tat two weeks before delivery, that could be a different story. But the last time I checked, I think doctors (and tat artists) frown on that.

Snicks - No uterus, no comment!

SID - Well, just don't get pregnant and all will be fine!

Tony - ?????

What??? Sweetie, I read your comment FOUR times and I still don't get it. Are you still swooning from meeting your manhunk, Duncan Sheik?

Maidy said...

Sangron - That's not so crazy. I mean, why else do they keep birds and lizards seperate at the pet store? Sheesh! ;)

TJ - I don't know if I would have killed, but some rather colourful words would have been flying.

ninjapoodles said...

By the time you get to the hospital, you'll probably already have gotten HIV from a needle concealed in a gas pump handle or pay phone coin return, anyway. But then you can forward some email 10 times and Bill Gates will give you a bunch of money, and that will cover your medical bills.

A better warning might be about what that tramp-stamp'll look like when you're 65, but why worry?

Celena said...

BELINDA?!?!?! TRAMP STAMP?!?!? (you're allowed to think it, but to type it out loud!?!?)

Tony said...

I don't know what I meant, either. So..... bite me.

Maidy said...

Belinda - And don't forget that child in that third world country who desparately needs your help and has been missing for over fifteen years.

Celena - It's okay. belinda is allowed to let herself go onthis blog (but don't tell Alex ...shhhhh)

Tony - *CHOMP*