Tuesday, September 13, 2005

My dad ...

... is having surgery today.

The man has no knees left. The cartilage had dissolved years ago and the bones were fusing together. He can barely walk. He normally goes up and down steps on his bum. But he kept saying "I'm fine, dammit. I don't need any operation." So typical of my pop.

What did him in was when he tried to walk the baby up the stairs to put her down for a nap one day. He couldn't. It broke his heart.

So, after much procrastination, he decided to see the surgeon and schedule the surgery.

They are doing one knee at a time. He wanted both at once but the doctor balked saying my dad's age, heart condition, and diabetes didn't make him a solid "2-in-1" candidate.

The baby is making him a get well card. If I know my dad, he'll say it was all worth it just so he can get a beautiful handmade card from his granddaughter.

4 comments:

CrankyProf said...

Your dad is in my prayers.

Let us know how he's doing!

Pax Romano said...

Fingers crossed, though i am sure he'll be fine. Keep us posted!!!

Virginia Gal said...

I hope the surgery went well and your dad is recovering nicely.

Maidy said...

Everyone - Thank you for your words and prayers. I relayed them to my Mom (Dad is too out of it to do that just yet)